Term Schedule 6+3: Individual Design 2+2+2 + Group Design 1+1+1
Weeks 1-2: Purpose + Skills
Class 01: 1M
- Introduction Place Branding and Social Services, Syllabus, 6+3 Design Build, Reading
Class 02: 1W
- Diagramming and Material Affect,
- Place Branding / Identity
- Analysis Project
- Assignment: Readings
Class 03: 1F
- Schedule 6+3
- Review Student work Assignment 01 and Assignment 02
- Review Readings
- Work Time / Landscape Presentation
Class 04: 2M
- Diagramming your purpose
- Discuss reading Art of the Long View
- Material Affect
Class 05, 2W
- Tiling Exercise (Rhino) Digital and Physical (Paper)
- Tiling Exercise 3D (Rhino Tutorial)
- Grasshopper Tutorials
Class 06, 2F
- Case Study 01: PS 1
- Performative wall system (assembly modeling, laser cutting paper/mylar)
Weeks 3-4: Material Affect + Joinery
// each day: Purpose (Attach to the real ‘People Brand’) + Methods (Start making)
Class 07, 3W
- Review Project Overview and Objectives, in class. Review Program and Criteria.
- Review Assignment 02
- M: Wood and Computation. Achim Menges and Eli’s research post on wood.
- M: Review Performative Wall System, including Models of assemble (scaled smaller, not 1:1)
- P: Purpose support by Affect. Material Assembly.
- P: cataloging conditions of affect (scenarios)
- M: 1 1/2″ wall section in class.
- P: select study urban room. discuss 3 places of deploy for BCN PDX. consider TriMet sites, Jeldwen, Milwaukie + South Waterfront. **Sabina: AI Culinary Institute, Local Choice, Proposal to Portland Parks and Recreation (also riverfront); Couch and 1st, Naito owned via Kate Wagle
- Assignment: Watch the UO Achim Menges Podcast; writing outline, expanding on 3 sentences. paragraph for each including external conditions to attach to. specific; refine diagrams, performative wall system- jump to other; 1 1/2″ walls section
- Discuss: Food Partner; Richard Nelson as Carpentry expert; purchase sample wood; dinner on Friday or Sunday evening; review Monday
Class 08, 3F
- P: Attach to real: Draw/Model framework (form). organization. connect to organization built or operative (people flows/information flows) at site.
- M: Continue Grasshopper and Performative Wall System Exercise. Allow to evolve to project.
- P: research study: what is a soup kitchen
- M: CNC Foam ++ Taxonomy of CNC: panelization, stereolith, joinery connection, etc (See Lisa Iwamoto book)
- project management: individual roles in class. budget. PDX router. EUG router. soup kitchen stakeholder. Portland partner such as Art Institute
- Assignment: Reverse design the Affect you want (Rhino / Photoshop); 1:1 mockup of affect; Measure the external force to ‘attach to’. Build your Latour gun, ie generative diagram, info graphic or other tools.
Class 09, 4M
- P: Place Branding writing- connect Place Branding with Social Services
- P: re-read
- M: Unit Assembly
Class 10, 4W
- —Purpose and Methods Review (**keep in parallel) or First Pass at Material Assembly: Gerry, Nancy, Brad, Bob, Nate, Tom O., Nora, Ivan, Brook
Class 11, 4F
- material selection
- CNC wood
Weeks 5-6: Attenuation of Attachment to External Forces of Deployments
Unit+organization+external force ‘attachment’(real).(Cnc, wood, acrylic)
provide time for desk crits and in studio work.
minimal time for presentation. diagrams and 1:1 mockup will be the final presentation. some background detail, section and plan drawings. perspectives optional (its not about what it looks like but how it performs).
*Individual Project Presentation- Juried and 1:1. Brad, Karen, Nate, Brook, Bob, Stakeholders, Sabina UO development, Judith